Re: "Unexpected end of file" on Solaris 8

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: "Unexpected end of file" on Solaris 8
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 08:03:47 -0400

%% Andrei Lenkei <address@hidden> writes:

  al> I have a problem with GNU make 3.80 on Solaris 8. and zsh v3.0.

When you say "zsh v3.0", what does that mean?  Make doesn't care what
the user's shell is: it will always use /bin/sh as its shell unless you
change it.  So, did you set SHELL in your makefile, and/or did you
replace /bin/sh with zsh?

  al> Whenever I try to make my application I get

  al> /bin/sh: syntax error at line 1: `end of file' unexpected
  al> make: *** [clean] Error 2

  al> I have serached the bug list and on the net but the only thing I
  al> have found is that is seems to be related to the make file
  al> containing an echo of a string with spaces in it. Something like
  al>     echo "la di da"

There's nothing wrong with that.

  al> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

>From what you've described above there is no way we can help.  You
haven't provided enough information.

The error you're seeing is from the shell, not from make, which means
that your shell script is incorrect.  At the very least you'll have to
show us what make prints as a command to invoke, and the best thing
would be to post the entire make rule that is failing.