weird interaction between make and tcsh

From: Edward Peschko
Subject: weird interaction between make and tcsh
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 20:32:00 -0700

hey all,

I'm having this weird interaction between csh and make - when I use ``, as in:

CC=`which gcc`

all: setprompt resetprompt

.PHONY: all

.c.o:
    $(CC) -g -c $< -o $*.o

resetprompt:  resetprompt.o splib.o
            $(CC) -g -o resetprompt resetprompt.o splib.o

setprompt:  setprompt.o splib.o
            $(CC) -g -o setprompt setprompt.o splib.o

clean:
        rm -f setprompt setprompt.o

        install: all
                mkdir -p $(PREFIX)/bin
                cp setprompt $(PREFIX)/bin/setprompt
                cp resetprompt $(PREFIX)/bin/resetprompt
                chmod 755 $(PREFIX)/bin/resetprompt

the .cshrc file is being called each time the bacticks are executed. I
definitely do not
want the .cshrc to be called.  Is there a way around this?

Ed