Re: Feature request: output idea

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Feature request: output idea
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 11:56:55 -0400

As I pointed out in an email yesterday, there is no way to compute the
percent complete.  In order to do that, you have to know the total
number of targets that you will build (or at least that could possibly
be built).

Make knows _NONE_ of that until after it's already completed all the
builds.

Certainly it's not worth it to change that fundamental aspect of GNU
make and rewrite it virtually completely internally, just for a bit of
what is really simply eye candy.  IMO, anyway.