parse level

From: Noel Yap
Subject: parse level
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 13:23:59 -0500

I want to be able to execute some code at most once.  But due to reparsing of
the makefile, the code is executing more than once.

Here's the code if it matters:

ifeq ($(wildcard $(build.DIR)),)
  ifndef $(build.DIR).warning
  $(build.DIR).warning := 1
    $(warning $(build.DIR) does not exist.)
    $(warning You probably want to create a symlink for it.)
    $(warning If you continue, a directory, not a symlink,  will be created for
you.)
    $(warning Hit any key to continue or Ctrl-C to break.)
    $(shell read)
  endif
endif

I know there's a macro MAKELEVEL that signifies the number of times make calls
have recursed.  Is there something similar that signifies the number of times a
makefile is being parsed?  Is there some other way to do what I want (without
having to create
marker files)?

Thanks,
Noel