Setting target execution order

From: Matt Perry
Subject: Setting target execution order
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 12:37:47 -0800 (PST)

Is it possible to set a target to execute only after all others have
executed?  I have a makefile that does some things and has an option to
gzip the result.  Right now I'm telling it to gzip things by adding gzip
as a target on the command line like so:

make all gzip

However if I accidentally type:

make gzip all

It will execute the gzip target first which I don't want since there's
nothing to gzip yet.

Making all a prerequisite of gzip isn't a solution either as there are
several targets in the makefile that are independent of each other (but
create the same output file that I might want gzipped).

Any suggestions?

--
Matt Perry | matt at primefactor dot com