Re: can't compute prerequisites in static pattern rule

From: Noel Yap
Subject: Re: can't compute prerequisites in static pattern rule
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 09:30:19 -0500

Evgeny Sologubov wrote:

> Hello, Noel, It's me again :(
> Wednesday, December 17, 2003, 4:30:29 PM, you wrote:

> >>              ^
> >>   What is that mean?
> >>   Just another way to enforce rebuild?
>
> NY> You forgot the '.' at the end.  It should be:
>
> NY>     $(2): | $(dir $(2)).
>
> NY> "Order rules" were introduced in make-3.80.  They mean that
> NY> the LHS is dependent on the RHS's existence only.
>
>    You didn't understand :) I asked exactly about symbol "|", not the
>    whole rule :) [Sorry for my English :(]
>    I've searched for that operator in manual and found nothing.
>    What is it mean?

I think /you/ misunderstood although I may have provided too much info so the
real stuff got hidden :-)

Search for "order rules" in the manual for make-3.80.

Briefly:

  LHS: RHS
        action

means that the rule will get triggered if RHS doesn't exist or RHS's timestamp
is newer than LHS's.

  LHS: | RHS
        action

means that the rule will get triggered if RHS doesn't exist.  No timestamp
checking is done.

HTH,
Noel
--
NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender.  Sender does
not waive confidentiality or privilege, and use is prohibited.