Re: how to define a set of targets for a recursive structure?

From: Noel Yap
Subject: Re: how to define a set of targets for a recursive structure?
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 13:10:47 -0500

"Robert P. J. Day" wrote:
> i realize this may be of limited interest to only those who are checking out
> this paper, but i *swear* there's a significant typo in one of the makefiles
> listed.
>
> on p. 10, in the middle box, there is a static pattern rule for generating a
> ".d" dependency file from the corresponding ".c" file:
>
> %.d : %.c
>     depend.sh $(CFLAGS) $* > $@
>
> now, that "$*" just doesn't look right.  the "depend.sh" script requires a
> *source* file to generate that file's dependencies.  the $* variable will give
> you the *stem*, which makes no sense to compile.
>
> i replaced $* with $<, and it seems to work.  or am i just making a mess
> of things?

It sounds like you've found a bug in the paper.

We have our own way of generating the dependencies makefile so I've never run
into this bug.  In the end, so long as you have a valid dependencies makefile
with:
- the correct paths to targets and dependencies
- empty rules for header files

things should work as advertised.

Noel
--
NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender.  Sender does
not waive confidentiality or privilege, and use is prohibited.