Re: new release

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: new release
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 09:43:01 -0500

%% Sergey Matveychuk <address@hidden> writes:

  sm> Tell me please, who is responsible for new release issue?

I am.

  sm> Here is my situatian: I'm working for some projects under FreeBSD. And I
  sm> collide with a bug in GNU make. It's just core dumps.
  sm> There are patches for it:
  sm>   http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailbug&bug_id=1516&group_id=71
  sm>   http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailbug&bug_id=1517&group_id=71

  sm> But a FreeBSD port maintainer refuse them and told he's waiting for 3.81.

Any patch posted by me as a solution to a bug in Savannah can be
considered an officially supported patch: I generate them directly from
the changes I make to the code in CVS when I fix the bug.  Various other
distributions (like Debian GNU/Linux for example) do include these
patches in their versions.

Obviously it's up to the port maintainer what they want to do.

  sm> Can I know when 3.81 is planned please? It's critical for me.

Of course no specific date can be given.  We're having problems on the
Savannah and GNU sites due to hackers and much of the functionality of
the site was down for quite a while; even now some of the features are
not fully operational.

In addition, I'm waiting for some copyright paperwork to come through so
I can integrate some enhancements for the MINGW port of GNU make.