One target, multiple possible source types

From: Nathan Royer
Subject: One target, multiple possible source types
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 19:54:59 -0800

I'm sure there is some way to not have to make one rule for every
translation into an object that has the exact same commands, but I
cannot seem to find it in the documentation and all the syntax that I've
tried does not seem to work.

For example I would like to create object files from assembly files that
have one of many suffix's such as .asm .s .s55 etc.  What I am currently
doing is the following:

%.obj: %.asm
        $(object_from_asm_command)

%obj: %.s