Re: forcing a rule

From: Noel Yap
Subject: Re: forcing a rule
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 12:50:18 -0500

Boris Kolpackov wrote:

%/.: | $$(dir\ %).
        @echo mkdir $(@)

Now '%/.' depends on it's subdirectory. In your case it would expand to
install/common/make/.: | install/common/.

Wouldn't this produce an infinite loop?

Why would it? Every time $$(dir\ %). chops off one directory so at some point it will end up being just /. which hopefully exist.

After reading the documentation for the patch, I understand why it won't go
into an infinite loop.

Have you tried this change with the patch installed?

Yes I did. It prints what you wanted.

I'd need to "sell" the patch to our GNU make maintainers; it would need to pass
certain criteria before I can even suggest it.

Are there any downsides to using the patch (eg builds take considerably longer,
...)?

Have you submitted the patch to the GNU make project (via savannah.org I
believe)?  Has this feature been discussed on this list?

Thanks,
Noel