Re: -include completely turns off errors

From: Noel Yap
Subject: Re: -include completely turns off errors
Date: Sun, 09 May 2004 22:15:40 -0400

Stranger still, the rule for all is never triggered so the makefile has no
output whatsoever.

This behaviour persists even if an order rule is used:

# GNUmakefile
-include foo.mk

.PHONY: all
all: | foo.mk
        @echo $(@)

$ gmake
$

Noel

Noel Yap wrote:

I have the following makefile:

-include foo.mk

.PHONY: all
all: foo.mk
    @echo all

Since there's no rule to create foo.mk, I'd expect the build to fail since all is dependent on foo.mk, but it seems that the -include turns off this error. Is this a bug?

Thanks,
Noel

PS
This throws a kink into the "delayed error message" workaround for "include" that I had proposed.