Re: order-only dependency and transitivity

From: Boris Kolpackov
Subject: Re: order-only dependency and transitivity
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 15:08:56 +0000 (UTC)

"Paul D. Smith" <address@hidden> writes:

> Depends on how you look at it.  In one sense it's not a bug, because
> you're changing the filesystem behind make's back: that is you're
> creating files that make cares about (that are targets in the makefile),
> without telling make about it.

There are all sorts of problems arise when you start hiding things from
make ;-). For example, in the original makefile, if make gets interrupted
in the middle of the command that creates that "hidden" file there is no
way make can clean it up.

BTW, the same thing happens with advanced auto-dependency generation and
it bit me a few times already. I still don't have a solution for this...

-boris