Re: question about VPATH and current directory

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: question about VPATH and current directory
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 21:59:19 -0400

%% "Robert P. J. Day" <address@hidden> writes:

  rpjd> while i can see the rationale for make searching the current
  rpjd> directory by default first, and only consulting VPATH
  rpjd> afterwards, was there ever any thought given to having VPATH act
  rpjd> like PATH instead?

Not that I'm aware of.

  rpjd> are there any situations where it would have been advantageous
  rpjd> for VPATH to do that?

I'm sure that it wouldn't be hard to come up with hypothetical
situations like that.  I don't know how practical they are.

The VPATH feature was originally implemented in SysV make (although that
implementation was not very useful due to other limitations in SysV
make), and that's how they implemented it there.