Automatically Generating Linker Command Files

From: Ricky Venable
Subject: Automatically Generating Linker Command Files
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 12:26:41 -0500

I'm converting a large makefile from OPUS make to GNU make, and the most difficult thing to convert is the way I'm generating command files for the linker.
In OPUS I can create the command file as I'm using it.
Its like this:
$(LD) -T<< $(CMDFILE)
 text for command file
 ..
 ..
<< -o $@

Thats really easy, but I can't find a way to do it easily in GNU make. The only solution I can think of is to have a separate rule to make the command file which uses many echo statements to create the command file:

$(CMDFILE):
 @echo -e \\ttext\\n >> $(CMDFILE)
 @echo -e ...\\n >> $(CMDFILE)

Of course with echo statements, I have to use \\t to make tabs and \\n to make newlines, which looks really ugly, whereas in OPUS, the makefile looked identical to its result in the command file.

FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar – get it now! http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/