Re: other uses for make??

From: Dan DeJohn
Subject: Re: other uses for make??
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 00:42:19 -0400

I don't know how your pages are organized, but it sounds like a job for rsync.

http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/

Josh Cronemeyer wrote:
I have heard of people using make for other things besides compiling
software. I have an application that I would like to try to use make
on, but not having any experience with make I am not sure if it is
feasable. Here is my idea.

I have my home page (actually about 400 pages worth) on my ISP's unix
servers. I make changes to the site on my local machine, and whenever I
make changes I run a perl script that removes the whole site and reloads
the whole site. This is slow! Often I change 20 to 30 pages at a time so
this is easier than uploading via ftp every page that i have changed.

I was thinking that since make can detect changes in files that it would
be able to identify which files were modified and then i would be able
to run my script on just those files. Much faster that way! Sure i could
write my perl script to do this too, but I was hoping to reuse existing
software and to learn about make.

could that work?

josh

[Attachment denied by WatchGuard SMTP proxy (type "application/pgp-signature", filename "signature.asc")]