Deriving the target name in the SHELL

From: Trenton G. Twining
Subject: Deriving the target name in the SHELL
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 16:03:52 -0500

My team at work is looking to block out log data with a separator
between each target.  One approach I've considered is to replace the
shell with a shell that knows to print separator whenever the target
changes.

This would pretty easy if I could change the makefiles.  But we have
several thousand makefiles across hundreds of development branches.  So
we don't want to change them to implement this feature.  There are
include files that I can change.  Among them is a file that contains
_most_ of the rules:  Rules.mak.  This file will probably have to
change; but some of the makefiles have local custom rules and I'd rather
solve this to include all.  Is there anything I can use that will
communicate a change of target without chaging the rule?

TIA,
--
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you will
have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong

Trenton G. Twining