Re: include files with :=

From: Noel Yap
Subject: Re: include files with :=
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 11:08:58 -0500

File open/close is a very expensive operation.  If you're including many
makefiles, this may be where your lag is coming from.  Also, whenever you
include a makefile, there's a chance that make will re-exec although the
details aren't coming to me right now.

Noel

Paul D. Smith wrote:

%% "Dill, John" <address@hidden> writes:

  dj> I am still trying to track down where exactly my lag time is
  dj> coming from, and it doesn't appear to be from using the include
  dj> directive by itself.  My question is how makefile evaluates
  dj> variables that are defined using ':=' with respect to include
  dj> files.  If I have a file include_me.mk which contains:

  dj> my_var:=$(shell script)

  dj> and I have included this file several times (indirectly through my
  dj> file's dependent include files).  Does make re-evaluate this
  dj> variable assignment each time 'include include_me.mk' appears?

Of course, just like any other variable assignment.