.PRECIOUS for intermediates without keeping corrupt files?

From: Wagman, Adam
Subject: .PRECIOUS for intermediates without keeping corrupt files?
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 17:13:52 -0500

The GNU Make documentation says that .PRECIOUS is used for two distinct
purposes: 1) to prevent intermediate targets from being deleted, and 2) to
prevent deleting targets if make is interrupted (e.g. via ctrl-C).

Is there any way to get just #1 without #2?    My particular case is that an
EXE depends on several .obj files, so that making the exe causes the .c/.cpp
files to be compiled to the .objs, and I want to keep those .obj files to keep
from remaking them.  However, if the make is interrupted, I certainly don't
want corrupt .obj files left lying around, waiting to be linked and cause
problems.

-Adam