Upper/Lower case

From: Ropars Katell-R59913
Subject: Upper/Lower case
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 15:00:14 +0100

Hello,

I have some questions regarding GNU make:

1.
I would like to define a variable in a makefile that can either be read as
lower or upper case.

I tried:

NAME_1 = DUMMY
NAME_1_LOWER_CASE = $(subst %,"%",$(NAME_1))
I was expecting to read "dummy" but it is not the case.

2.
I am using recursive make rules and if an error is encountered I would like to
give up the current rule and all the other rules. It is written in the manual :
"If there is an error (the exit status is nonzero), make gives up on the
current rule, and perhaps on all rules." How could I force all the rules to
stop?

Thanks for your reply.
Regards,
Katell ROPARS