Re: Time stamp resolution

From: Jason Pearce
Subject: Re: Time stamp resolution
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 22:03:31 +0000

Johan Bezem wrote:

A few ideas:
- Are all machines in a network, sync'ed by NTP or comparable? Especially when using remote storage like mounted systems from different hosts? Or is everything local on a single machine?

Originally the project was runnning over NFS, and this was my first port of call. So I relocated it to /tmp, which is definitely on a local disk. There was no change. That machine was running NTPD and was reporting itself as within 20ms of the NFS server anyway, and I was not getting any clock skew warnings from make. I also tried another Linux machine which is not running NTPD, again I get identical behaviour.

Can someone please try the following for me

[~]$ touch foo1 ; touch foo2 ; ls -lrt foo*
-rw-r--r--    1 jasonp   None            0 Jan 24 16:01 foo1
-rw-r--r--    1 jasonp   None            0 Jan 24 16:01 foo2
[~]$ touch foo2 ; touch foo1 ; ls -lrt foo*
-rw-r--r--    1 jasonp   None            0 Jan 24 16:01 foo2
-rw-r--r--    1 jasonp   None            0 Jan 24 16:01 foo1

Now thats from CYGWIN and it works as expected. From the other machines I get this

england4% touch foo2 ; touch foo1 ; ls -lrt foo*
-rw-r--r--    1 jasonp       games           0 Jan 24 17:04 foo2
-rw-r--r--    1 jasonp       games           0 Jan 24 17:04 foo1
england4% touch foo1 ; touch foo2 ; ls -lrt foo*
-rw-r--r--    1 jasonp       None           0 Jan 24 17:04 foo2
-rw-r--r--    1 jasonp       None           0 Jan 24 17:04 foo1

NOT what I'd expect.

- IIRC there was an issue with NT FAT using 2-second increments, in stead of 1-sec. Don't know if that applies. I had some similar issues years back.

The Cygwin machine its actually NT 5.0, but that IS the machine that works, unexpectedly it the real UNIX machines giving me problems!

HTH,

Johan

Jason Pearce wrote:

I am having problems with a build system based on Make. It is quite a complex issue but I have traced it to what I believe to be a time stamp issue. I would really appreciate some help.