Re: A function to print instead of $(warning ) or $(error )

From: Dill, John
Subject: Re: A function to print instead of $(warning ) or $(error )
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 13:59:28 -0600

>> The only quirk in this solution is that all output goes to stderr
>> instead of stdout.
>
>And, it uses shell which is starting processes and is therefore a lot
>slower than a builtin function would be in case you care about
>performance.

I notice a bit of slowdown in my work since I use this technique to echo
autoconf like messages.  The messages just drift by a little bit more slowly.
On a fast linux machine it's barely noticeable, but on my old 300 Mhz windows
using MinGW, it's a little more drastic.

I appreciate the idea of keeping minimal interfaces, but to value that over
functionality which is more fundamental than an 'error' or 'warning' function
to begin with seems contradictory.  You don't need 'error' and 'warning' if you
have a generic 'print' function.  You can certainly redefine them using a
generic 'print' function.

Is guile going to change this aspect of make, for example allowing us to use a
standard gmake gateway function to call some custom defined function which will
do exactly what we want, and faster?

Thanks,
John Dill