Re: multi-arch build: works on something complicated like the 2.4 kernel

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: multi-arch build: works on something complicated like the 2.4 kernel?
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 11:13:06 -0500

%% "Robert P. J. Day" <address@hidden> writes:

  rpjd>   i'm perusing paul's paper on multi-arch builds at

  rpjd> http://make.paulandlesley.org/multi-arch.html

  rpjd> and am wondering if that technique would work on a multi-level
  rpjd> source directory -- specifically, the linux 2.4 kernel.

  rpjd> i can see how that approach would work fine for a single-level
  rpjd> directory containing the source.  does it generalize nicely to
  rpjd> an entire hierarchy?  (theoretically, i don't see why not, but
  rpjd> i'm still reading.)

Yes, it works in that environment.

These days I tend to shy away from fancier environments like this,
though.  Now that GNU make has more advanced features like eval and
call, this type of setup is not as necessary anymore.  You can generate
the necessary rules to have objects put into another directory pretty
easily, without having to write them all out, and without the extra
recursion.