Re: .PHONY and .SECONDARY interaction in make 3.81: bug/feature?

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: .PHONY and .SECONDARY interaction in make 3.81: bug/feature?
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 11:38:09 -0500

%% Alexey Neyman <address@hidden> writes:

  an> I didn't find anything in the description of the .SECONDARY that
  an> states such behavior.

Hm.  Something is wrong; make's debugging output shows clearly the
problem:

    Considering target file `version.o'.
     Looking for an implicit rule for `version.o'.
     Trying pattern rule with stem `version'.
     Trying implicit prerequisite `version.c'.
     Found an implicit rule for `version.o'.
     Finished prerequisites of target file `version.o'.
     Prerequisite `version.c' of target `version.o' does not exist.
    No need to remake target `version.o'.

For some reason make decides that the target "version.c" does not exist,
even though it does/should.

Please file a bug about this on Savannah and we'll check it out, thanks.

  an> This behavior was introduced by the revision 1.69 of the 'file.c'
  an> file. The description says that it fixes bug #2515, but that bug ends
  an> with a sentence "I'll look at this more carefully." by Paul Smith.
  an> I am not sure which .SECONDARY behavior is right.

No, you're misreading the log.  Check the dates: the first message is
actually the LATEST (newest) message, and the last message is the first
(oldest) message.