RE: Advanced Auto-Dependency Generation

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: RE: Advanced Auto-Dependency Generation
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 11:04:32 -0400

%% <address@hidden> writes:

  >> I can't speak to the specifics of pvmgmake, but I don't see any way
  >> advanced auto-dependencies conflict with parallel builds.

  n> do you say so because you tend to non-recursive Makefiles?

No, I don't say it because of that.  And actually I don't always use
non-recursive makefiles.

  n> We use recursive Makefiles with good results (build time,
  n> scalability) here, but we have to use the "basic" auto-dependency
  n> for the reason above.

I still don't see it.

The only way you could run into issues, even with recursive makefiles,
is if two instances of make were both working with the same makefile at
the same time, and one finished reading the makefile and started
generating targets (which, as a side effect, generate dep files) while
the other was still reading in the makefile (and thus the dep files).

Having two instances of make running with the same makefile at the same
time is bound to be a big problem, REGARDLESS of auto-dependency
generation.

Maybe you can elaborate on the problems you're having and how they're
being caused by the advanced method?