Re: how to work around the "long command line" in djgpp make

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: how to work around the "long command line" in djgpp make
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 15:51:44 -0400

%% Martin Sebor <address@hidden> writes:

  ms> Paul D. Smith wrote:
  >> The next version of GNU make has abspath and realpath functions, too.

  ms> The problem with this functionality is that it's not reliable.
  ms> Consider this script:

  ms> (   cd /tmp && mkdir foo \
  ms>   && cd foo && mkdir bar \
  ms>   && cd bar && mv /tmp/foo /tmp/foobar \
  ms>   && pwd && cd `pwd`)

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.

The functions I'm talking about are _make_ functions, so none of the
strangeness that you might encounter with the shell is relevant to
those... all make functions are resolved in the context of the make
program, before any shell is invoked.  Am I missing something?