Re: Creating an advanced build system

From: Brendan Heading
Subject: Re: Creating an advanced build system
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 21:58:01 +0100

John Graham-Cumming wrote:
On Thu, 2005-05-26 at 21:44 +0100, Brendan Heading wrote:

That was interesting, your proposal is to avoid recursion by including the makefiles. Unfortunately I suspect there'll be trouble if the included Makefiles happen to redefine variables. For example it might be useful for two different libraries to be compiled with different CFLAGS; how would you handle that ?

(I copied the mailing list on this reply because the answer may be
useful to others).

Apologies. I'd not intended to mail you privately.

<snip>

So the two definitions of CFLAGS are independent of each other.

Thanks for taking the time to make that explanation. I'll have a try :)

Regards

Brendan