Re: vpath Question

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: vpath Question
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 11:49:51 -0400

%% Bhaskar G <address@hidden> writes:

  bg> In one of my makefile I have the following entry
  bg> vpath %.lib $(_SDE_DIR_LIB)

  bg> _SDE_DIR_LIB expands to
  bg> d:/results/x86_nt/comps/generated/lib/x86_nt_el_i486

  bg> I am using gmake provided by cygwin and gmake built on my machine
  bg> using the source.

  bg> I get the following error when using gmake provided by cygwin:

  bg>             Considering target file `libtmComp2_flo_g.lib'.
  bg>              File `libtmComp2_flo_g.lib' does not exist.
  bg>              Looking for an implicit rule for `libtmComp2_flo_g.lib'.
  bg>              No implicit rule found for `libtmComp2_flo_g.lib'.
  bg>              Finished prerequisites of target file `libtmComp2_flo_g.lib'.
  bg>             Must remake target `libtmComp2_flo_g.lib'.
  bg> gmake: *** No rule to make target `libtmComp2_flo_g.lib', needed by
  bg>
`d:/results/x86_nt/comps/generated/lib/x86_nt_el_i486/_flo_sp_g/tmComp10.dll'.
  bg>  Stop.

  bg> Where as this problem doesnot seem to appear when using the gmake built
  bg> locally.

  bg>             Considering target file `libtmComp2_flo_g.lib'.
  bg>              Looking for an implicit rule for `libtmComp2_flo_g.lib'.
  bg>              No implicit rule found for `libtmComp2_flo_g.lib'.
  bg>              Finished prerequisites of target file `libtmComp2_flo_g.lib'.
  bg>             No need to remake target `libtmComp2_flo_g.lib'; using VPATH
  bg> name
  bg>
`d:/results/x86_nt/comps/generated/lib/x86_nt_el_i486/libtmComp2_flo_g.lib'.

  bg> My question is Can the vpath directive be removed optionally when
  bg> building gmake?

No, that's not possible.

Please note that the Cygwin version of GNU make has had some
cygwin-specific patches applied to it: it's not a vanilla GNU make.
Thus, it might behave differently than vanilla GNU make.  The folks on
this list generally don't have any experience with Cygwin GNU make.  If
you think the problem is with Cygwin's version you need to contact
them.  If you think the problem is with vanilla GNU make, please provide
a description of the problem you see and why you think it's a problem
that _doesn't_ rely on knowledge of how Cygwin GNU make works.

Cheers!