Re: folder deps

From: Ken Smith
Subject: Re: folder deps
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 11:28:32 -0400

Using $(shell) to create these directories at each invocation is
certainly one way to solve this problem.  If you would like to take
Noel's suggestion to use order-only prerequisites, you'll need to make
one tiny change to his example.  (See inline change in quoted message.)
To read about order-only prerequisites, you can go here.

Section "4.3 Types of Prerequisites"
http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/html_chapter/make_4.html#SEC29

An advantage to using order-only prerequisites is that you'll be able to
see any error output from mkdir.  Also, gmake will only try to create
the directory if it doesn't already exist.

  Ken Smith

On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 06:03:39PM -0400, Noel Yap wrote:
> Have you tried using order dependencies?  For example:
>
> %/.:
>       mkdir -p $@
>
> $(MY_FILE): $(dirname $(MY_FILE))/.

$(MY_FILE): | $(dirname $(MY_FILE))/.