Re: Why is 'make -e' "not recommended practice"?

From: Dan Kegel
Subject: Re: Why is 'make -e' "not recommended practice"?
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 06:26:17 -0700

Greg Chicares wrote:
I'm working with someone who wants to do this:

  $export CFLAGS="set_in_environment"
  $make -f make_0
  CFLAGS = -g

I understand why that example works that way, but my friend wants his
environment setting to prevail, without requiring 'make -e': he thinks
any other behavior is astonishing. ...
Am I missing some obvious solution?

Yup.  Have him specify the flags on the commandline:

$ make -f make_0 CFLAGS="-g"

By the way, it's standard practice in some circles to
have the Makefile's CFLAGS include $EXTRA_CFLAGS or
something like that, where EXTRA_CFLAGS is empty.
That way the user can *add* flags easily by overriding
EXTRA_CFLAGS.
- Dan

--
Trying to get a job as a c++ developer?  See
http://kegel.com/academy/getting-hired.html