Re: pattern rules and pattern-specific-variables problem

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: pattern rules and pattern-specific-variables problem
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 00:03:53 -0400

%% Boris Kolpackov <address@hidden> writes:

  bk> I believe you are right, pre-sorting pattern rules and
  bk> pattern-specific variables to be longest-first should do the
  bk> trick.

Actually, we have to do them in opposite order.  That is, pattern rules
need to be sorted with longest first, but pattern-specific variables
need to be sorted shortest first, so that the most specific variables
are set last and override the least specific ones.