problem with parallel makes on AIX + NFS

From: Richard Hedges
Subject: problem with parallel makes on AIX + NFS
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 11:05:52 -0700

 am seeing the precise symptoms that were discussed previously:  see http://developers.sun.com/solaris/articles/parallel_make.html

Problem 5: Old Versions of gmake and NFS

Very old versions of gmake will sometimes fail for parallel builds (but succeed for serial builds) when invoked in an NFS-mounted directory. The failure will manifest itself as a report that either of these has occurred:

    * One of the sources cannot be created:

    gmake: *** No way to make target 'some_source.c'.  Stop.
    gmake: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

The source target does exist and apparently is not detected effectively.  The problem is intermittent.

I didn't find any other detail on this, other than the version 3.79 or newer should fix the problem.  I am running 3.79.1 and have tried 3.80 as well.

Anything new on this or is anyone else experiencing problems with parallel builds on NFS?  Does anyone remember the details of this problem from the past?

Thanks,

- Richard

Richard Hedges
Scalable I/O Project
Development Environment Group - Livermore Computing
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
7000 East Avenue, MS L-557
Livermore, CA  94551

v: (925) 423-2699