Re: fail, if a target was not generated

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: fail, if a target was not generated
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 18:03:39 -0400

%% Torsten Mohr <address@hidden> writes:

  tm> the commands in a certain rule to generate a target always give
  tm> a return code different to 0x00.

  tm> This is known and ok, the wanted output file is generated.

  tm> At the moment i have a rule like this:

  tm> $(OUTPUT) : $(INPUT)
  tm>         -command -o $@ -c $<

  tm> I'd like to have something like this:

  tm> $(OUTPUT) : $(INPUT)
  tm>         -command -o $@ -c $<
  tm>         fail_if_target_does_not_exist_or_is_older_than_input $@ $<

  tm> Is something like this possible?

Well, of course you can do it in the shell:

 $(OUTPUT) : $(INPUT)
        -command -o $@ -c $<

It seems like there should be a way to get make to do this, since that's
what make does, but I can't think of one offhand.