Re: Why are circular rules not supported

From: Dave Hylands
Subject: Re: Why are circular rules not supported
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 13:28:14 -0800

Hi Olivier,

> What do you and the readers here think about it? If they seem to be a good
> idea, is there some "suggestion list" where I could submit these
> suggestions?

I think that what's really going on here (in the DVI/PS/PDF example)
is that you have dvi generated ps, and you have pdf generated ps.

I think that it's a mistake for these two different types of generated
files to have exactly the same directory/name.

If I were to create the DVI file, then create the PS, then create the
PDF, edit the DVI and then generate the PS from the PDF, you're now in
a situation where your PS file is out of date but there's no way for
make to know it.

--
Dave Hylands
Vancouver, BC, Canada