Re: Odd behavior using multiple rules for the same target

From: simon . de . groot
Subject: Re: Odd behavior using multiple rules for the same target
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 10:08:03 +0100

Hi Paul,

Beta release 3.81b4 behaves correctly, I suppose it was a known bug that has been fixed after 3.80.

I wasn't able to find any information on the archives, sorry.
Also sorry for the double post, I was struggling with an email change.

Regards,
Simon.

"Paul D. Smith" <address@hidden>
Sent by: "Paul Smith" <address@hidden>

01/13/2006 07:15 PM

Please respond to
"Paul D. Smith" <address@hidden>

address@hidden
cc
address@hidden
Subject
Re: Odd behavior using multiple rules for the same target

%% address@hidden writes:

 sdg> all : target0.ts
 sdg>         @echo Done

 sdg> target%.ts : file1
 sdg>         @echo $?

 sdg> target%.ts : file2
 sdg>         @echo $?

 sdg> dummy : file1
 sdg>         @echo $@

 sdg> <end_code>

 sdg> Any ideas why this is, and how to solve this in a somewhat
 sdg> elegant manner?

This is working properly for me (that is, the same way as the one
without the dummy rule) in the latest CVS code.  Try the current beta:

   ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/make/make-3.81beta4.tar.gz

and see if that helps.

Paul D. Smith <address@hidden>          Find some GNU make tips at:
http://www.gnu.org                      http://make.paulandlesley.org