Re: generating multiple object files -- the current solution

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: generating multiple object files -- the current solution
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 13:54:17 -0500

%% "Robert P. J. Day" <address@hidden> writes:

  rpjd> the only problem, though, is that someone suggested that
  rpjd> invoking a "call" from within an "eval" is not guaranteed to
  rpjd> work in make-3.80 and earlier versions.

  rpjd> is there anything about the above that could cause problems in
  rpjd> older versions of make?  if there is, then it's not really a
  rpjd> usable solution for me.  thanks.

You'll have to define which "older versions" you want to support.  There
are new user-visible features introduced in nearly every release of GNU
make.  Most of the powerful features are not available in "older
versions", for some definition of "older".

eval was introduced in 3.80.  No earlier version can use it.

call was introduced in 3.78.  No earlier version can use it.

In 3.80 there are some bugs in eval that can cause crashes etc.  These
are not limited to use call, but since at least one of them is more
likely to happen on larger expansions, call is often involved.