Re: installation

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: installation
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 13:09:07 -0500

%% "PATTON, BILLY \(SBCSI\)" <address@hidden> writes:

  pb> How do I compile make and get a tarball for installation?  Here
  pb> the people do not do compiles, just installations.  They expect a
  pb> tar ball that can be installed, not compiled.  I am not able to
  pb> install after compile.

I'm not sure what they are expecting.  But, you can make a tarball
easily enough.  Suppose you want to build GNU make to be installed in
the /foo/bar directory (so, /foo/bar/bin/make, /foo/bar/info/make.texi,
etc.)

Do something like this:

    tar xzf make-3....tar.gz
    cd make-...
    ./configure --prefix=/foo/bar
    make
    make check
    rm -rf /tmp/foo
    make install DESTDIR=/tmp

    cd /tmp
    tar cvf make...tar foo

    Give them make...tar

The contents of the DESTDIR variable are added to the destination path
of every installed file, so instead of installing it into /foo/bar it
will install into $(DESTDIR)/foo/bar