Re: Whitespace in variables

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Whitespace in variables
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 07:32:47 -0400

%% "Leeuwesteijn,Joost" <address@hidden> writes:

  l> When I check my command/response files or print the make file
  l> variables when debugging, I notice whitespace in places where I
  l> didn't expect it.

  l> Why does make (3.81) do this?

All versions of make behave this way, and they always have.  It's
required by POSIX.

  l> but [strip] unnecessarily clutters my makefiles.

The best thing is not to put comments on the ends of your lines.  In
make it's much better to put comments on the line before the variables,
not on the same line.