Re: question about Generating Prerequisites Automatically

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: question about Generating Prerequisites Automatically
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 13:31:49 -0400

%% Lin George <address@hidden> writes:

  lg> About the incremental build, I do not think it will utilize
  lg> intermediate files to achieve the function of incremental build,
  lg> since I am using ar to generate static libraries, but I am not
  lg> using intermediate files. :-)

Certainly if you're not using intermediate files then you won't get any
benefit from intermediate files.

  lg> It seems that you mean if I use intermediate file together with
  lg> ar, it will be more efficient or something?

Intermediate files are mainly a way of saving disk space by removing
files that are not needed after the build is complete.  However, I think
they might be useful with some uses of VPATH as well; I'd need to think
about that.