Re: Please help me out in this

From: psmith
Subject: Re: Please help me out in this
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 08:48:44 -0400

Hi Ravi;

First, please try to use an informative Subject line in your emails.
With all the spam today most mailing lists have to be hand-moderated,
and often the subject line is the only thing that moderators look at to
decide whether to accept a message; a subject like "please help me out
on this" will quite often cause your message to be deleted, unread.  You
need to say something specific about the issue you're having in the
subject so it's obvious right away that this is not spam.

%% Ravi.S.M writes:

> In a porting exercise, I am compiling linux code in solaris . in
> makhdr.gnu file where all macros are defined I am getting error as
>
> makhdr.gnu, line 6: Unexpected end of line seen
>
> Please if you can help me out in this problem I would be grateful to
> you, and its very argent.

Since you are running this on Solaris, almost certainly your problem is
that you are using Solaris make, not GNU make.  Solaris make does not
understand the additional features that GNU make provides.

You can test this by running your make command and adding "--version" to
the command line; it should print info on the version of GNU make.  If
it doesn't you know you're not using GNU make.

If your makefile is written specifically for GNU make, and it seems
obvious this one is, you'll have to get it and use that.  You can
download the source and build it yourself from
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/make, or you can try to find an already-built
version someplace like http://sunfreeware.com

Good luck!