Re: Static Pattern Rules: target, stem, and prerequisite issue

From: Martin Gaarde Lund
Subject: Re: Static Pattern Rules: target, stem, and prerequisite issue
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 10:51:28 +0200

On 7/7/06, Paul D. Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
%% "Martin Gaarde Lund" <address@hidden> writes:

  mgl> Im using a GNU make w32 binary version 3.79.1 running windows xp.

Ah.  Are you using the cygwin binary?  Because that is not a standard
version of GNU make.  The Cygwin folks have modified it.  For any
windows-specific issues (of which this is not one) you need to ask on
the cygwin lists, FYI.

gmake --version:

GNU Make version 3.79.1, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath.
Built for Windows32
Copyright (C) 1988, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 2000
        Free Software Foundation, Inc.
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

I dont really know where it comes from as Im not responsible for the toolchain. One thing is for sure, im not using cygwin.

  mgl> I tried the following and failed with version 3.79.1. And of course it
  mgl> fails.

Indeed.  You must have 3.81.

  mgl> I should get version 3.81 as instructed but I cant currently find
  mgl> a w32 binary anywhere and I have no means of building it
  mgl> myself.

Judging by the rules in your makefile you have a C compiler... that's
all you need to build GNU make.

Look at the README.W32 file for info on building on Windows systems.

Actually I did and it states that MSVC++ is required in order to produce w32 output. I dont have MSVC++.

The compiler you see defined in $(CC) is for embedded targets so its no use ;)

Hopefully someone in make-w32 can provide me a binary. Otherwise I will have to get MSVC++.

  mgl> So if anyone out there knows where to find this dont hesitate to
  mgl> tell me :o)