Re: More information

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: More information
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 14:51:23 -0400

%% Anoneironaut <address@hidden> writes:

  a> Nope.  The error is definitely pointing at the line that I mark
  a> out.  I'll rewrite it.

  a> The error occurs on this line:

  a> Heap.r37 : Heap.c
  a>          $(COMP) $(HEAPFLAGS) Heap.c <== Specifically Here

  a> Makefile:97: *** multiple target patterns.  Stop.

  a> That line is tabbed.

It's not tabbed in the makefile you provided.  However other lines ARE
tabbed in that makefile.

Also, it's impossible for that line to begin with a TAB _and_ get that
error message.

A line beginning with a TAB in that position (after a target definition)
is always considered to be a shell command line and the contents of
command lines are not expanded here, and they are certainly never
considered to be target definitions.

That error is ONLY generated when parsing a target definition line.  It
means that the line contains more than two (unescaped) colon characters,
which is perfectly fine in a shell command line but quite illegal in a
make target specification.

So, either that line does NOT begin with a TAB, or GNU make has given
you the wrong line number, or you have miscalculated which line in the
makefile is line #97.