Re: .PHONY targets and prerequisite checking

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: .PHONY targets and prerequisite checking
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 17:52:57 -0400

%% Martin Willers <address@hidden> writes:

  >> However, this re-links toplevel on each invokation of "make",
  >> even if no files have been changed at all.

  mw> Paul's solution isn't quite enough

You didn't quote it, but IIRC my solution was to use order-only
prerequisites for this, right?

  mw> - you'd need two passes of 'make' with that (because after
  mw> building eg. foo/libfoo.a, the prerequisite-check for 'toplevel'
  mw> has already been done, so 'toplevel' would not be updated, unless
  mw> you'd run 'make' a second time).  With this two-stage approach
  mw> above, everything is working as it should.

Hm.  Interesting.

It seems to me like it would make sense for GNU make to always build all
order-only prerequisites first, before any of the "normal"
prerequisites.

Would that be good enough?  Or am I forgetting something?