Re: Sorting alphabetically

From: Maxim Yegorushkin
Subject: Re: Sorting alphabetically
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 09:30:23 +0100

Anoneironaut wrote:
Hey guys. I'm trying to sort a long list of files in alphabetical order. All of the files are case sensitive so I can't change the names at all. I've tried using the GNU sort function but it sorts things based on their
ASCII value and not alphabetically.  So for example with a list like this:

A aa B bb

I get:

A B a b

when I really want:

A aa B bb

Is it possible for me to do this?

Huh?

$ echo -e "A\nB\naa\nbb\n" | sort

aa
bb

You might have better luck asking in comp.unix.shell.