Re: Problem using -R in MAKEFLAGS

From: Philip Guenther
Subject: Re: Problem using -R in MAKEFLAGS
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 07:44:17 -0800

On 11/1/06, Colm Aengus Murphy <address@hidden> wrote:
I'm trying to to stop make using its built in rules.
When I use make -R on the command line this works fine.
However when I use MAKEFLAGS = R in the makefile it doesn't work.
I use -d to see which rules are being checked.

You can't affect how make processes a makefile by setting MAKEFLAGS in
the makefile itself.  Currently, make sets all the built-in variables
and rules before parsing the makefile, and that can be tested by the
makefile itself, so changing it would create all sorts of problems.

Philip Guenther