Re: Improvement on parallel make

From: Christophe Lyon
Subject: Re: Improvement on parallel make
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 12:56:47 +0100

On 12/12/06, Philip Guenther <address@hidden> wrote:
[Dang it, fingers slipped and I sent while still editting.  So to continue...]

Note that the desired makefile mentioned above:
local_objects = a.o b.o c.o d.o
all: all-recursive .WAIT all-local
all-recursive:
      $(MAKE) -C subdir all
all-local: $(local_objects)

can *currently* be implemented like this:

local_objects = a.o b.o c.o d.o
all: all-recursive
     $(MAKE) all-local
all-recursive:
     $(MAKE) -C subdir all
all-local: $(local_objects)

The choice to use recursive make means you've given up on maximizing
your parallelism (because your dependency tree has to be a superset of
the real tree).  As long as you've burned that bridge, why not use it
here to express the ordering?

OK, this is the solution I am currently forced to use, but I really don't like to call make recursively just to solve this issue. As a side effect, you get plently messages saying that your targets are up-to-date.

Maintaining the various levels of Makefiles of large projects can quickly become impracticable.

I try to advocate good Makefile writing, but I also try to avoid recursive Makefiles, and having a feature such as this .WAIT implementation would be quite handy. Note that I am not defending some BSD compatibility, as I don't use BSD...
Christophe.