Re: Improvement on parallel make

From: Brendan Heading
Subject: Re: Improvement on parallel make
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 14:23:14 +0000

Paul Smith writes:
There's one major disadvantage to this model: the .o's can no longer be
considered intermediate files.  That means they cannot be removed after
being added to the archive.
Although disk is a lot cheaper I have had people within the last year or
so reject the "recreate the archive from scratch" method precisely
because they (said they) couldn't afford the hit on disk space.

I see. I don't use Make this way but if there is a special concept of "intermediate files" then perhaps we instead need something that treats those in a special way whenever there is a parallel build in progress ? (an idea I'm throwing out there without having given it any thought)