Re: Listing the targets defined in a makefile

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Listing the targets defined in a makefile
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 08:54:30 -0500

On Mon, 2007-01-08 at 15:10 +0200, Ville Laurikari wrote:
> Hi,
> I'd like to automatically apply some target specific variables and
> order-only prerequisites to targets defined in makefiles.   Is there a
> magic variable or function to get a list of all targets defined in a
> particular makefile?  I know about .VARIABLES, MAKEFILE_LIST and the
> rest, but there doesn't seem to be a .TARGETS or similar special
> variable to list targets.

I wrote a .TARGETS variable at the same time I created the .VARIABLES
variable.  Unfortunately, do to a quirk of the parser in GNU make it had
an inconsistency in its value (a target was not added onto the list
until the entire rule had been defined).  I didn't want to create the
variable until it worked properly (instead of creating it, then changing
the way it worked later) so I removed it again.  The code still exists,
but it's commented out.

At some point we will change the parser to define targets immediately,
then this can be resurrected.