recusrive make or include make files

From: sharan basappa
Subject: recusrive make or include make files
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 08:43:28 +0000

Background :
We are in the process of setting up a project where individual user who develop modules will create make files for compilng their code. The top level make file will take the compiled
code from subidirectories and create a executable etc.

Problem : In the process I have gone through both the options of doing this using recursive make option or including these submakes into main make file. The issue that I forsee in case of including submake file is that individuals who create these submakes have to be aware from where their make files will be called, whereas in case of resursive make, once the make works in their directory it will always work if top level make executes these make files. As an example, we create a subdirectory to dump compiled code for which we use "mkdir -p ..." Doing this by including make file will create this directory from where the top level make file was called
not in the sub-directory is located.

Any thoughts on how this can be overcome ..

Tried the new MSN Messenger? ItÂ’s cool! Download now. http://messenger.msn.com/Download/Default.aspx?mkt=en-in