RE: Installing on AIX4.3 as a user without root permission

From: Dave Korn
Subject: RE: Installing on AIX4.3 as a user without root permission
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 15:46:12 -0000

On 23 January 2007 14:13, Mark Besaans wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Recompiling an older version of make,  configure insisted on writing a file
> to a directory outside of my user account.   So did make install.   I there
> an option to set a local or an environment root into which all GNU
> utilities will install if the /usr/local directory is not owned by the
> installing user and does not have permission to create files in its
> sub-directories?

  Yep, it's called the prefix.  Try adding "--prefix=~/local" to the configure
command line, then you should get binaries installed to ~/local/bin, libraries
under ~/local/lib, etc. etc.

  For more info, "configure --help" lists a whole bunch of individual options
for installing individual bits of the build into different places; --prefix
moves the entire install tree wholesale to a new location, but you can
override the destinations of individual bits and pieces using options such as
--bindir, --datadir, --libexecdir etc.

    cheers,
      DaveK