RE: How to downgrade to make3.8

From: Leeuwesteijn, Joost
Subject: RE: How to downgrade to make3.8
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 13:25:31 +0100

Hi Justin,

> Thanks for your reply. How about if i dont use rpm. Is there
> any other option to downgrade make 3.81 to 3.80 on a Fedora
> Core 6. I am willing to try anything :P

If you have the rpm for 3.80, just extract the executable and overwrite the
3.81 make with the 3.80 make (/bin/make ?). I don't know what other files are
in the .rpm, perhaps some man pages or source files but that doesn't really
matter. All that is required is the make executable itself. This would fall
into the "try everything" category because your rpm database will still think
3.81 is installed.

You could also keep both versions. Extract 3.80 and call it /bin/make-3.80 and
use that executable only for the build that requires 3.80.

Extracting the executable is quite simple. See this page:
http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm/s1-rpm-miscellania-rpm2cpio.html

Have a nice weekend,
Joost

---